Scroll to content
School Logo

Victoria School

"Working Together for Success"

School Logo

Victoria School

Working Together for Success


SEND (Special Education Needs and Disabilities)

SEND Information and Local Offer


From September 2014, all schools are expected to publish information about their provision for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes the 'Local Offer', which helps parents/carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.


Frequently Asked Questions


1) What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school make provision for? What type of provision make and how do they know it works?


Victoria School is a special school for children with physical disabilities and/or complex medical needs, together with learning difficulties. It also has a regional Multi-Sensory Impairment  (MSI) Unit for children who are deaf-blind.


Types of need


Examples of support in our school



How we check it is working








Small classes.
High adult to child ratios.
Personalised targets for pupils.
Experienced staff team.



Regular assessments of personal targets
Review of Education Health Care Plans - EHCP



Physical Difficulties and PMLD (Profound Multiple Learning Difficulties)











Support for physical difficulties, provision of physiotherapy services and support for motor programmes.
Experienced staff team.
Use of total communication approach for example Makaton, objects of reference photographs and symbols.
Provision of speech therapy Communication targets for all pupils.
All pupils have Communication Passports.
A Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) is a regional Makaton trainer.



Regular review of communication targets.
Monitoring and support by S&L team.
Review of Education Health Care Plans - EHCP.








Complex medical needs







Experienced staff team.
On site nursing is available.
Support for feeding difficulties.
Speech and Language therapist experienced in dysphasia visits the school.
Ongoing CPD (Continuing Professional Development) for staff.
All pupils have Communication Passports.



Personalised targets and planning for individuals.
Staff evaluations of training Review of Education Health Care Plans - EHCP.





Sensory difficulties including

MSI (Deaf Blindness)







Staff experienced and trained in Visual Impairment (VI), Hearing Impairment (HI)I, and MSI (Multi-Sensory Impairment - deafblindness).
Published Victoria MSI curriculum.









Personalised targets and planning for individuals.
Staff evaluations of training.
Review of Education Health Care Plans - EHCP.
Visiting Teachers for Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment.



Our pupils may have any combination of the above.


2) How does the School identify and assess Special Educational Needs?


All our pupils have SEND and an Education Health and Care Plan. Occasionally we are asked to admit pupils who are still in the process of receiving an assessment.


You can read our SEN Policy on our Downloads page, please see below.


3) How do the School know how much progress is being made with pupils with Special Educational Needs?


We have robust systems of baseline assessments, recording data, target setting and tracking of progress in place. Targeted intervention is in place for all pupils who we feel are making less than expected progress. Our targets are set in line with national expectations for pupils with SEND. Regular parents evenings/review meetings take place and parents are able to arrange meetings at other times to discuss progress.


4) What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at School?


We run a variety of extra-curricular/enrichment activities for our pupils, some of these are held at lunch time, for example signing choir. We also have an after School Club: Club Vic, which offers a programme of activities across the School year. In the summer term we offer "stay and play" sessions for families to join their children and use our exciting outdoor facilities. 


In addition we also offer a range of residential visits for pupils during the time they are with us.


5) Does the School have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)? if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?


As a Special School we do not have a SENCO. Initial contacts for further information should be via Executive Headteacher, Julie Fardell, via phone or email see below for details.


6) What training does the staff in school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?


Many of our teachers and support staff have a great deal of experience working with children with SEND. For staff who are new to the school we offer induction and training including Manual Handling and Communication. For all our staff we have a schedule of training across the year.


7) How does school get more specialist help for pupils if they need it?


Within school we have access to a team of professionals who can offer specialist advice, these include nurses, physiotherapists, orthotics, speech and language therapists and dieticians. We work very closely with all the professionals as well as parents to ensure we offer the best provision. If we need to we will also work with other agencies for example CAMHS, Social Care and Health, Educational Psychologists and the Communication and Autism Team.


We also have staff who are experienced in Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment and in some instances have qualifications in these areas.


8) How are parents of children and young people with SEND involved in the education of their child?


We are happy to meet with parents as often as necessary to ensure that they are happy with the education there children are receiving.


There are a range of opportunities both formal and informal for parents to come into school. These range from parents evenings, Annual Review meetings and special assemblies. Class teachers are happy to speak to parents regularly on the phone and all pupils have a home school book to assist in communication. We are also happy to arrange meetings with parents at any time of the year.


9) How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?


Wherever possible we will include our pupils in their education by encouraging then to participate in review meetings, whether that is by talking with them outside of the meeting to ascertain their views or by them taking part in the meeting itself.


We also have a student council, pupils are voted onto this each year in the autumn term by their peers. They meet regularly and have the opportunity to influence decisions.


10) If a parent or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?


We have a complaints policy (link to complaints policy) in the first instance we would encourage parents to contact the Executive Headteacher, Julie Fardell, to discuss the complaint.


11) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs including support for their families?


A Family Worker is employed to support and signpost families to other agencies for support. A team within Victoria facilitates a programme of support for parents and carers to attend throughout the year.


12) Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?


Parent Partnership services are available to help parents through the assessment process and can also help facilitate school visits and offer advice. SENAR are the department within the LA who manage the assessment process.


There are several parent support groups in Birmingham who offer support and guidance, several of these organisations have parents of children with SEND who work with them.


13) How do the school support pupils with SEND through Transition?


The arrangements for transition vary dependant on the stage in their educational that pupils are at. On entry to school the transition is planned on an individual basis with you and your child. Often a pupil will start at Victoria one or more visits to the school. This is usually into a full time placement, however we are happy to plan a detailed transition if necessary.


If a pupil is coming to us from a different school, we will always try to visit them in their current setting and if possible attend their final review.


Secondary Transfer – whether your child is moving up from our Primary Department or new to school you will be invited to a parents meeting. This enables you to meet some of our nurses and physios as well as Key Stage Managers and class teachers. There will also be a morning when you child will visit school and spend time in class. We can arrange for extended transition in the term prior to September if necessary and this will be planned in conjunction with you and your child’s current school.


Transition into adulthood – When you child is in Year 9 discussions will begin about your child’s future after school and their hopes and aspirations for the future. Many pupils stay at Victoria into the 6th form and then transfer into a variety of College placements. You and they will be given advice and guidance by ourselves and our Independent Careers Advisor, there will also be opportunities to visit a variety of colleges during the last couple of years at Victoria.


14) How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authorities Local Offer?


Birmingham’s Local offer can be found by going to the link below.